Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Post Thanks / Like

Revisiting Tylan 101

Ok, I know it has been a while since many of us have even thought twice about what comes naturally. But for those of you just finding out your dog has EPI or new care takers here is a bit from my notes over the years.

I am just explaining dosing this is no way meant to treat and diagnose.

According to current treatment, the dosing is 25mg per kg, twice a day.
    A teaspoon of tylan is about 2.6 grams or 2600 mg.

Your dog weighs 59 kg [118 lb us], so the dosing according to TAMU is 1475 mg twice a day….that’s the math…a teaspoon estimate would be 5,000 mg.

Also for more in depth discussion please take the time to Google and read "Steiner’s book Small Animal Gastroenterology".

Steiner headed TAMU, so you will see a lot of his influence in TAMU.

Hope this is a good starting point for everyone.

I use the "00" size caps.

Gel Caps Info

Size "0"
    Approx. 1000 gel caps
    Size "0" is the industry standard and most popular size used for encapsulated products.
    Gelatin source: gluten free, preservative free kosher beef.
    Size "0" is about 50% smaller than size "00" and is close to the size of a nickel.
    Each "0" capsule will hold 400 mg - 800 mg or so (5,000 mg = 1 teaspoon), depending on the powder and whether or not you use a Tamper when filling the capsules. Heavy and dense powders, such as Bentonite clay, Kelp and Spirulina, will be closer to the 800 mg range in one "0" capsule. Light and fluffy powders, such as Slippery Elm and Eleuthero Root, will be closer to the 400 mg range in one "0" capsule. Of course, using a Tamper will drastically increase the amount that will fit into each capsule.

Size "00"
    Approx. 450 - 500 gel caps
    Gelatin source: gluten free, preservative free kosher beef.
    Size "00" is about 50% larger than size "0" and is nearly the size of a quarter.
    Each "00" capsule will hold 550 mg - 1,100 mg or so (5,000 mg = 1 teaspoon), depending on the powder and whether or not you use a Tamper when filling the capsules. Heavy and dense powders, such as Bentonite clay, Kelp and Spirulina, will be closer to the 1,100 mg range in one "00" capsule. Light and fluffy powders, such as Slippery Elm and Eleuthero Root, will be closer to the 550 mg range in one "00" capsule. Of course, using a Tamper will drastically increase the amount that will fit into each capsule.
    Because none of us have a hard time swallowing capsules, this is our favorite size for use in our home. Someone that does not like to swallow capsules may prefer the smaller sized "0".
    Last edited by Mark & Skari; 10-23-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    Skari

Age 10

Diet: Kibble
    Enzymes Currently 8X: 15 min incubation.
    Slippery Elm Bark: when needed and as a preventative when eating untreated food in large amounts.
    EPI Stable:
    No SIBO

DISCLAIMER: All contents on this site is presented AS IS and for information purposes only. Nothing herein is meant to diagnose or cure any illness or disease. It is the visitors' responsibility to seek qualified veterinary advice regarding the health of their pets. Opinions and information on third-party sites are not the responsibility of epi-dog.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would add some probiotics if using antibiotics...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad that Slippery ELm Bark usually fixes the inbalance but I agree with you
    Skari

Age 10

Diet: Kibble
    Enzymes Currently 8X: 15 min incubation.
    Slippery Elm Bark: when needed and as a preventative when eating untreated food in large amounts.
    EPI Stable:
    No SIBO

DISCLAIMER: All contents on this site is presented AS IS and for information purposes only. Nothing herein is meant to diagnose or cure any illness or disease. It is the visitors' responsibility to seek qualified veterinary advice regarding the health of their pets. Opinions and information on third-party sites are not the responsibility of epi-dog.com.